St. Joseph, Missouri Marathon
September 28 @ 7:00 am - 2:00 pm
SECOND ANNUAL ST. JOSEPH, MISSOURI MARATHON
PRESENTED BY GRAY MANUFACTURING
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2024 – CIVIC CENTER PARK
Pick the distance that’s right for you and sign up today!
Follow your runner!!!!
Or, sign up as a volunteer!
7 AM – FULL, HALF (PRESENTED BY EAGLE COMMUNICATIONS) & RELAY START
7:30 AM – 10K START (PRESENTED BY BMS LOGISTICS/RITE PACK INC.)
7:30 AM – 5K START (PRESENTED BY ALTEC INC.)
POST RACE CHILL OUT PRESENTED BY HY-VEE!
An event you will not want to miss! Sign up now to participate in the Second Annual St. Joseph, Missouri Marathon which is set for Saturday, September 28, 2024 hosted by the St. Joseph Sports Commission in partnership with Junior League of St. Joseph.
More then 500 runners participated in our inaugural event to rave reviews, this is a race/event you will not want to miss!!
The race will feature five different distances for participants to choose from and include: full marathon (26.2 miles), half marathon (13.1 miles), 10K race (6.2 miles), 5K race (3.1 miles) and a relay team element that encompasses the full route.
This scenic and challenging race route which begins and ends behind Civic Center Park in downtown St. Joseph, will take participants from the north to south end of town and embodies St. Joseph landmarks along with incorporating the city’s historic parkway system.
Event proceeds benefit the continued growth, development and programming of the sports commission along with Junior League’s initiatives which include; Cinderella’s Closet, Hope Totes, Community Assistance and Literacy Grants along with their support of the United Way of Greater St. Joseph.
- St. Joseph Marathon branded participant shirt
- Finisher’s medal
- Swag bag from our race sponsors
- Race bib and timing chip
- Free food and drink (beer included!) at the Post Race Chill Out presented by Hy-Vee in Civic Center Park
Providing Legacy & Leadership for more than 70 years in St. Joseph, Gray Manufacturing is a third-generation family owned business supporting the truck repair and maintenance industry with the highest quality service equipment. Visit their website at grayusa.com.
For all questions not answered below:
Please e-mail email@example.com
What can I expect from the course:
Each race route will encompass St. Joseph’s historical beauty, scenic parkway system and will be an enjoyable journey and test of endurance. The routes can be challenging in spots as the terrain in our city is not consistently flat but will even out accordingly.
Can I change the distance originally signed up for?
Yes, simply e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to do so. No refunds/credits will be issued for a decreased distance. Balance will be owed for an increased distance.
Will pacers be provided?
Yes, in partnership with Runners Edge KC, pacers will be provided at the times:
Marathon: 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:10, 4:20, 4:30, 4:45, 5:00; Half Marathon: 1:40, 1:50, 1:55, 2:00, 2:05 2:10, 2:15, 2:40
Meet our pacers via the link below:
Are there age requirements to participate?
Must be 16 years of age to run the full marathon and relay, 14 years of age to run the half marathon, no age requirement to run the 10K or 5K.
Can I walk?
While no separate category, walkers are welcome in the half marathon, 10K and 5K however have a six-hour time limit in which to finish.
When does registration open and close?
The registration portal will open the week of January 30 and close the day before the race. No registration will be allowed on race day.
The earlier you register, the lower the price! Registration fees are non-refundable. We reserve the right to cancel the event in any circumstance deemed dangerous to participants.
Age Groups and Awards:
Each race will have a male and female overall winner. In addition to overall event winners, awards will be given to the top three male & female finishers in the following age categories:
19 & under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80 & over.
Overall event winners are excluded from age group awards.
Where can I find results?
All results will be posted on this website and will be finalized the week following the race.
Will I receive my award onsite?
All participants will receive their finishers medal immediately following the race. There will not be a post-race awards ceremony for overall and age group winners. Awards may be picked up at the St. Joseph Sports Commission office located at 911 Frederick Avenue the week following the race or will be mailed to the participant.
Do winners receive monetary awards?
There are no cash prizes at this event.
- VIEW THE TIMING CHART FOR RUNNERS
- VIEW 2024 FULL MARATHON ROUTE
- VIEW 2024 HALF MARATHON ROUTE
- VIEW 2024 10K ROUTE
- VIEW 2024 5K ROUTE
- VIEW OPEN CROSS STREETS ALONG THE ROUTE
- WATCH THE FULL MARATHON COURSE!
Please note: routes are subject to change.
All races will begin and end behind Civic Center Center Park in downtown St. Joseph. The full and half routes will take participants from the north to south side of town showcasing our cities beauty, landmarks, architecture, historic streets and parkway system.
- Leg 1: Starting Line at Civic Center Park to Krug Park Pool – 4.4 miles – shortest leg, slight uphill incline immediately after the start but mostly flat the rest of the way which includes a downhill finish into the Krug Park Pool area
- Leg 2: Krug Park Pool to Parkway A by Mark Twain School – 5.2 miles – tougher stretch but also a very scenic stretch, uphill out of the shoot, flattens out the first two miles, then another slight uphill to Ashland Avenue, runners love Ashland – very historic and scenic, the last part of this leg is slightly downhill to a flat finish (Park at Krug Pool, access off of St. Joseph Avenue)
- Leg 3: Parkway A to SW Parkway Loop – 5.2 miles, a slight incline early, toward the middle and then an uphill S curve right after mile 4, but a downhill finish and arguably the prettiest of the five legs (Park at Mark Twain School, access off of South 31st Street)
- Leg 4: SW Parkway Loop to St. Joseph Aquatic Park – 5.2 miles – one major uphill portion which is immediately out of the gate, following that, downhill or flat the rest of the way (Park at Benton High School, access off of South 4th Street)
- Leg 5: St. Joseph Aquatic Park to Finish Line at Civic Center Park – 6.2 miles, longest leg, arguably toughest stretch as uphill in the beginning and then another uphill at mile 22, but then back down and flat the rest of the way in. Scenic stretch as well. (Park near St. Joseph Aquatic Park or Central High School, access of of Messanie Street)
Teams will be responsible for their own transportation to and from the relay points.
Will the course be certified?
USATF will certify the both the full and half routes in spring 2024.
Where will aid stations be located?
Aid stations will be located every two to three miles throughout the course and feature water and Gatorade along with basic first aid items, snacks and portable toilets. Basic medications will not be available.
What is the time limit for the race?
Marathon participants must finish the course within a 6 hour time limit. The split between the half and full marathon courses will close at 11 AM. Runners who have not reached this point in the race by that time will be directed to the half course to finish. Anyone not finished within the time limit will be asked to move the sidewalks. At 1 PM, the race will end and all support personnel and security will be dismissed.
Packet pick-up along with our St. Joseph Marathon Health & Fitness Vendor Fair will be held Friday, September 22 from 2 to 7 PM at the St. Joseph Convention & Visitors Bureau located at 911 Frederick Avenue just across the street from the start-finish line area. Packets may also be picked up morning of in Civic Center Park from 6 – 6:45 AM.
For vendor booth information, please inquire by e-mailing email@example.com.
Following your race, runners will want to “Chill Out” in Civic Civic Park at our Post Race Chill Out presented by Hy-Vee. Participants will receive a complimentary beer presented by Wil Fischer Companies and River Bluff Brewing Company. Additionally, as St. Joseph is the unofficial ” Tenderloin Capitol of the World”, each runner will receive a complimentary post race tenderloin! The Chill Out will also feature live music, other food and drink options for purchase, photo opportunities and vendor booths.
The St. Joseph Marathon will utilize Athlinks/ChronoTrack Live Timing System, a next generation race platform providing real-time results, mobile results, Facebook & Twitter athlete updates, athlete video finishes and digital photography. Please be sure to wear your bib number visibly on your chest.
Complimentary parking is available at the more than 1,200 spots in the downtown St. Joseph and the surrounding area. Garage parking is located off Frederick Ave, Francis Street and Felix Street along with street side parking on adjacent roads. Based on registration, we will add satellite parking options if necessary. Maps will be added soon!
The medical tent will be located onsite next to the finish line to assist all participants.
Participants in the St. Joseph Marathon are encouraged to use our preferred hotel partners which include:
- Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center – 816-901-9600
- Fairfield Inn – 816-232-2700
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites – 816-232-2500
- Candlewood Suites – 816-232-2600
- Drury Inn – 816-364-4700
- Hampton Inn – 816-390-9300
Ann Marie (Brooks) Chappell, member of the St. Joseph Area Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2023 and legendary cross country runner at Central High School and the University of Missouri, has offered the following resources which provide insight into training for a marathon:
- Marathon Pacing
- Pre-Run Warm-Up Recipe
- Running Form is…
- Running Form Cues and Technique Practice
- Running Training Principles
Numerous sponsorship opportunities are currently available to support the St. Joseph Marathon. To inquire, contact the sports commission at firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-233-6688.